Monday, July 13, 2009


It's been a while since I've posted. I get caught up in the world sometimes. There have been a lot of things I've contemplated lately that make me ask myself if I am a poser. What I mean is, how connected to God am I? I find myself worrying about being a name-dropper. I first heard this term while watching a celebrity news channel. It was defined as a person who brags about famous friends to make themselves look better. 
My worry with my spiritual relationship is how real is it? Am I just dropping God's name to make myself look better? I have spent a lot of time pondering this and I've decided that I'm not a poser. I don't drop God's name. I've solidified this by looking at my life. "Two Hands" by Jars of Clay, made me analyze what I do to contribute to my relationship with God. (I am by no means perfect. Just last week, I procrastinated and put my entire Sunday school lesson off until Saturday night. It isn't anything I'm proud of, but I want to stress that I'm not trying to put myself on a pedestal by highlighting my successes. I have just as many failures). With that said, I know my relationship with God is real because I seek it out. I don't keep his name as a reference in my back pocket. I talk to him daily. He is a part of my every-day life. I commute to work, usually a 30-45 minute drive. Most everyone I know feels sorry for me because I have to make that drive, but it is my personal time with God. I set the radio to my favorite Christian radio station, and pour my praise out. 
I do wish I did more for others. God calls us to the great commission, but we should also look at Jesus as an example of how we should live. In every way, Jesus lived his life to serve. I am not happy to admit that I do not serve my fellow men a lot. However, looking at my life, I have realized there is so much I could do. I used to use the excuse that I didn't have the money to do anything for others, but why does help need to require money? I could help a little old lady carry her groceries out. I could help a child reach that button just out of reach. God doesn't say to buy love or help. He says to give it freely, and that doesn't require money.
John 12:26 says, "If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honor." Be close to God, not just another in the masses. Find a way to make a difference in the lives of those around you. It doesn't have to be life-changing, just be sincere.
Lord, thank you for loving us and serving all of our needs. Let us be a loving light to the world, as we try to serve the needs of your children. Give us wisdom and your love as we strive to do your will. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment